THINGS WHICH MUST BE DISSEMINATED

Pulse Media

5.9.05

random thoughts on nationalisms

Recently, I have begun thinking about separatist movements. My theory is this: regional separatism, particularly of the sort found in 'western' industrialised countries, serve the purpose of governmental elites, by making the case for nationalism and patriotism. I see a difference between such separatists as the Basques, the Corsicans or the Irish republicans on the one hand, and Chechens or Tibetans on the other hand, since in the latter case oppression and denial of local culture comes into the equation. While it is indeed true that in certain european countries regional languages have been phased out by centralised governments, it is hard to think of the inhabitants of such regions today as being oppressed peoples.
Before I carry on, I would like to make it clear, that this is merely a theory, and it is not based on detailed knowledge of any of the peoples I mention.
If I take the example of Basques and Catalans, one question I ask myself is this: how can they claim independence if it is only for those living in what is now Spain, since these two regions straddle the border with France? If their culture means that much, should they not claim all of the territory, regardless of the country they find themselves in?
Other separatist movements, such as Irish republicans or Corsicans, may have more of case for their 'struggle' (all things being relative-see Tibet or Chechnya), since these are distinct geographical entities, or part of one entity yet officially attached to another. However, it seems to me, that the violent methods used to attain their goals merely allow the governments to reject them with the help of public opinion and to strenghten in this way nationalism at a state level.
A parallel could be made in the way successive Israeli governments over the decades, both left and right, have been happy to maintain the status quo of an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, since it re-enforces the nationalistic nature of the state of Israel.(of course many are now realising the only way to maintain Israel as a 'Jewish state' is to give the Palestinians their own state-but that is the subject of another post).
I am not a 'europhile' anymore than I am a 'europhobe'(maybe only Europeans will understand that statement!).By that I mean, that I do not believe we are being led towards the ideal we are being marketed, yet it seems to me, that such an ideal must be our goal:a Europe without borders and without competing governments is a stepping stone on the way to an internationalist utopia. This utopia is not something we can install today, but it is something we should strive for, and not against, which is what we do when we brandish a flag, be it national or regional. As the great anarchist poet, Léo Férré said "the black flag is still a flag!".
In the mean time, where oppression, ethnic cleansing, the denial of minorities' rights, as well as xenophobia -at state and individual level- exist, these minorities should be supported, even if it means separatism.
I would like to make it clear, that my suspicion of separatism is not in favour of a centralised system, but rather a call for internationalism.
I welcome all thoughts and (rationally formulated) criticisms.