THINGS WHICH MUST BE DISSEMINATED

Pulse Media

20.10.05

Sensitive issues

I was told something yesterday which shocked me. It shocked me so, that I wanted to post immediately about it! However, I waited, thinking ‘sleep over it’. Well, I’ve slept over it, and I still feel angry, albeit much calmer…
“Sensitive issues leave no room for logical debate” she said. “Whaaaat?!?!?!” I screamed (inwardly).
The sensitive issue in question was prostitution. I had shown-with logical arguments-that prostitution having existed for ‘ever’ and it being unlikely to disappear, it is necessary to make it completely legal, thereby offering more protection to sex workers.

I accept that everyone does not necessarily agree with that opinion, but you need to put forward a logical (rational) argument if you want to prove that legalization is dangerous. All I got from my ‘opponent’ was arguments in the form of questions such as “in which profession-apart from boxing-are workers more at risk than in prostitution?”. Hmmm. What does that prove? I should not even have bothered answering such an illogical ‘argument’.
The worst is that I was accused of ignoring the facts- ie that prostitutes are routinely physically harmed. Exactly! By cops, pimps and clients mostly. If the law fully recognizes prostitutes, cops are much less likely to attack sex workers. In the Netherlands, prostitution is near-legal(similar to drugs), and pimping is prohibited. As for clients abusing prostitutes, it will be much easier to punish them if prostitution is legally recognized and organized.
That is how I logically put forward my argument. What do I get? There’s no room for logic regarding sensitive issues. God help the prostitutes!